Friday, October 18, 2013

A year of chaos

Wow! Just wow! That's pretty much all I can say about the year 2013. I haven't been able to focus on this project at all because of the life changing events starting with the breakup with my girlfriend. We had been together for 3,5 years when all of a sudden she decided to leave and completed the process in 3,5 days. Granted we'd not been together for a life time, it still turned my life upside down.

All of a sudden expenses were 50% higher and I was forced to take actions for my financial situation. The worst was without a doubt the fact that I had to decide to move out of the house where I've been living for a couple of years.

However, when I started to get back on my feet I realized I had an opportunity to actually straighten things out that was close to impossible because I was tied to a relationship and obligations earlier. I will swallow my pride and move to my parents house for a few months. This way I can use most of my salary on two main things: A loan at my bank and the '75 Chrysler Cordoba! ;)

I received word from the engine restoration shop a while back and the verdict was just great. I mentioned earlier that I have a documented 31 000 miles on the engine, which must be seen as very little for a 38 year old car so I wasn't really expecting something bad and sure enough. Most of the engine was in perfect condition and the only real wear was within the cylinders which were slightly bigger than usual.

The shop said I could leave it at that but they recommended I did a small bore and go with slightly larger pistons and rings. They instructed me to order standard bearings for camshaft, crankshaft and connecting rods because there were no traces of wear and the crankshaft needed no machining whatsoever. The heads were in equally good condition and only needed leveling and decking, and the valve seats cut.

So, as soon as I get out of the house and all my expenses are cut off I will order the bearings and pistons for the restoration shop and work will continue. I will try to do another update from the garage soon. Also, I want to tell you guys that I changed my mind on going with Edelbrock Performer stuff, and will upgrade camshaft, carburetor and intake to the Edelbrock Performer RPM kit instead.

I think this article may be of particular interest to anyone restoring their 400 big block engine:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1207_chrysler_b_series_400_hemi_power_at_half_the_cost/viewall.html

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear it's been a rough year, but I'm glad you have a plan and are moving forward. And thanks for the link to the CarCraft story.

    FYI...I don't believe you will be able to run the RPM intake with the factory air cleaner, and get the hood closed. That intake is taller than the factory or Performer pieces. A low profile air cleaner may get the job done, but just wanted you to be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete